FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 18, 2017
Contact: Tyler Price, Assistant Director of Athletics | Communications
Football Holds onto No. 2 Ranking
BALDWIN CITY, Kansas – After a perfect 4-0 start to the season, the Baker University football team held onto its No. 2 ranking in this week’s NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 poll, announced on Monday.
The Wildcats will next take on No. 14 ranked Benedictine in a showdown of the final two undefeated teams in the Heart of America Athletic Conference this Saturday, Sept. 23 at 1 p.m. in Atchison, Kansas.
Baker enters the contest with a 21-game winning streak against the Heart, the last time BU fell to a Heart team was to Benedictine in Atchison, Kansas on Sept. 26, 2015, by a score of 35-31.
Also ranked in the Top 25 this week from the Heart includes No. 8 Grand View and No. 22 MNU.
The Baker defense enters Saturday ranked No. 2 in the NAIA in sacks with 16 and the offense is No. 2 in the country in total points scored with 212.
They also feature the No. 1 ranked scoring kicker in the nation in Clarence Clark with 35 points, he is also the NAIA’s all-time leading scorer with 577 career points.
Freshman JD Woods leads the country in offensive scoring with 60 points and is the nations leading rusher with 536 yards. Baker has rushed for 1,039 total yards, ranking No. 5 in the NAIA.
Benedictine comes into the game as the nations leading rushing team with 1,212 yards and has scored 206 total points, ranking third nationally. Ejay Johnson is the Ravens leading rusher with 492 yards, ranking second only to Woods.
The BC defense is just one sack shy of Baker with 15, ranking No. 3 in the NAIA.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Saint Francis downed then-No. 23 St. Ambrose (Iowa), 49-21, last weekend to improve to 3-0 on the year. Quarterback Nick Ferrer threw for 508 yards and six touchdowns, while tailback Justin Green tallied a season-high 162 yards rushing and one score.
• The slate of ranked opponents continues for the Cougars on Saturday, as they host No. 11 Saint Xavier (Ill.) in a Mid-States Football Association crossover game.
• Three new teams joined the Top 25 this week – No. 21 Cumberland (Tenn.), No. 25 (tied) Concordia (Mich.) and No. 25 (tied) Hastings (Neb.). Hastings snaps the longest drought among the trio, as the Top 25 mention is the first for the Broncos since checking in at No. 25 on Oct. 29, 2012. The Phoenix were last ranked during the 2014 season, while Concordia was recognized once last season.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 58, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), No. 16 Georgetown (Ky.) (25), No. 4 Morningside (Iowa) (20) and No. 11 Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak with 128-straight Top 25 mentions.
To view the entire Top 25 poll, please click here.
To watch the game live on Saturday from Atchison, please click here.