FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 9, 2017
Contact: Tyler Price, Assistant Director of Athletics | Communications
Football Continues to Hold No. 2 Spot in Top 25 Ranking
BALDWIN CITY, Kansas – The Baker University football team has kept the No. 2 ranking in all six of the NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 polls this season including Monday’s installment, announced by the NAIA national office.
The 6-0 Wildcats enjoyed its Bye week last week, while No. 1 St. Francis (Ind.) won the NAIA Game of the Week, 35-18, over then-No. 20 Concordia (Mich.) last Saturday.
Baker is 6-0 for the third time in the last four years and have won 23-straight games against a Heart of America Athletic Conference opponent.
Also ranked this week from the Heart includes No. 6 Grand View and No. 12 Benedictine. Both fell to the Wildcats this season.
Next up, the Wildcats face rival MNU on Saturday, Oct. 14 at 11:07 a.m. inside Liston Stadium in a game that will be broadcast worldwide on the Watch ESPN App/ESPN 3 and locally on KSMO-TV.
Fans can watch the game live, by clicking here.
The No. 2 ranked ‘Cats also feature the No. 2 scoring offense in the NAIA, as they average 53.5 points per game.
Clarence Clark is still the nations leading scorer with 90 points and Indie Allen is fifth in the country in tackles per game at 11.7.
Baker is now one of eight teams in the NAIA with an undefeated record, including No. 1 St. Francis (6-0), Reinhardt (Ga.) (5-0), Morningside (Iowa) (6-0), Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) (5-0), Southern Oregon (5-0), Langston (Okla.) (5-0), Georgetown (Ky.) (5-0).
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Saint Francis’ top billing marks the 19th-consecutive time that a team from the Mid-States Football Association Mideast League has held the No. 1 mark in the poll.
• The Cougars pushed their NAIA-best winning streak to 15-straight after a 35-18 victory over then-No. 20 Concordia (Neb.) last week in the NAIA Football Game of the Week. Saint Francis has now scored 31-or-more points in every game this season.
• Saint Francis returns the gridiron Saturday at Siena Heights (Mich.).
• No. 24 Cumberland (Tenn.) is the only newcomer this week. The Phoenix return to the Top 25 following a dominant win over Cincinnati Christian (Ohio), 58-0.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 58, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), No. 9 Georgetown (Ky.) (25), No. 4 Morningside (Iowa) (20), No. 10 Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14) and Saint Francis (11).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak with 131-straight Top 25 mentions. Additionally, the Mustangs have been ranked within the top 10 in 80-straight polls.
To view the entire Top 25 poll, please click here.