FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 2, 2017
Contact: Tyler Price, Assistant Director of Athletics | Communications
BU Football Stays at No. 2 in Top 25 Poll
BALDWIN CITY, Kansas – The Baker University football team stayed at No. 2 in this week’s NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 poll, announced on Tuesday. The Wildcats have been ranked No. 2 in each poll this season.
No. 1 St. Francis (Ind.) continues to hang onto the top spot and received 340 total points in the poll, while Baker received 327.
Baker is 6-0 on the season for the third time in four years and has won 23-straight games against a Heart of America Athletic Conference opponent.
Four of Baker’s six wins have come against ranked opponents, including a 31-27 win over No. 23 William Penn, a 48-41 win at No. 9 Grand View, a 44-37 win at No. 14 Benedictine and its 65-42 win over No. 23 Peru State last Saturday.
The Wildcats are one of 10 undefeated teams left in the NAIA and one of three teams from the Heart ranked this week including No. 7 Grand View and No. 14 Benedictine, each of which lost to the ‘Cats this season.
Baker is off this week and resumes its 2017 schedule with its Heart South opener against rival MNU on Saturday, Oct. 14 at 11:07 a.m. inside Liston Stadium in a match up that will be broadcast worldwide on the Watch ESPN App/ESPN 3 and locally on KSMO-TV.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Saint Francis downed conference rival then-No. 8 Marian (Ind.), 31-24, last Saturday to lock down the No. 1 ranking for a seventh-straight poll. The game-winning touchdown came with 6:50 remaining in the contest when Justin Green capped a 13-play, 89-yard drive with a 10-yard touchdown run.
• Saint Francis enters the week riding an NAIA-best 14-game winning streak. The Cougars host No. 20 Concordia (Mich.) on Saturday.
• Three new teams joined the Top 25 for the third-consecutive week – No. 23 SAGU (Texas), No. 24 Hastings (Neb.) and No. 25 Kansas Wesleyan. SAGU, the only team among the trio not ranked earlier this season, is off to a 4-1 start, including a dominant 43-6 win over then-No. 10 Arizona Christian last weekend. The Lions last appeared in the Top 25 on October 26, 2015.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 58, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), No. 10 Georgetown (Ky.) (25), No. 4 Morningside (Iowa) (20) and No. 11 Saint Xavier (14).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak with 130-straight Top 25 mentions. Additionally, the Mustangs have been ranked within the top 10 in 79-straight polls.
To view the entire Top 25 poll, please click here.