FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 30, 2017
Contact: Tyler Price, Assistant Director of Athletics | Communications
Baker Football Continues to Hold No. 2 Spot
BALDWIN CITY, Kansas – Heading into Week 10 of the 2017 season, the Baker University football team again comes in ranked at No. 2 in the NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 poll, announced on Monday.
The 9-0 Wildcats are a perfect 3-0 in the Heart of America Athletic Conference and is coming off of a 49-0 shut out win over Central Methodist this past Saturday on Baker’s Senior Day.
The Wildcats are now a perfect 13-0 in the Heart South since the inception of the two divisions in the Heart in 2015.
Baker has now won 26-straight against a Heart of America Athletic Conference foe and is one of eight teams in the NAIA still with an undefeated record, the others are No. 1 St. Francis (9-0), No. 3 Reinhardt (7-0), No. 4 Morningside (9-0), No. 5 Lindsey Wilson (8-0), No. 7 Southern Oregon (8-0), No. 8 Langston (8-0) and No. 9 Georgetown (7-0).
Also ranked from the Heart this week includes No. 6 Grand View, No. 11 Benedictine and No. 25 Evangel, who is ranked for the first time this season.
No. 6 Grand View and No. 11 Benedictine meet this Saturday at November 4 at 1 p.m. in Atchison, Kansas.
The Baker defense has held its opponents to 17 points or less in its last three games, and in that stretch they have outscored its opponents, 154-31.
Baker features the No. 2 ranked scoring offense in the NAIA at 52.8 points per game and the No. 2 rusher in the country in JD Woods, who has 1,267 yards rushing this season. He earned Heart Offensive Player of the Week for the second time on Monday.
The Wildcats next take on rival Missouri Valley this Saturday at 1:30 p.m. in Marshall, Missouri. Baker has won two-straight and three of the last four against the Vikings.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Saint Francis has held the No. 1 ranking for 11-straight polls dating back to the 2016 postseason edition. Additionally, the top billing for the Cougars extends the streak of a Mid-States Football Association Mideast League (MSFAE) team holding the top-spot to 23-consecutive polls.
• Saint Francis kept its unbeaten season alive and extend its winning streak to 18-straight with a 70-0 victory over Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) last Saturday. The Cougars are 5-0 in the MSFAE and already own at least a share of the conference championship with only one game to play – Saturday against Taylor (Ind.).
• There was no movement in the top 10 this week.
• No. 25 Evangel (Mo.) joins the Top 25 for the first time since September 29, 2014 (No. 25). The Crusaders, which are the only newcomer to the poll this week, have quietly gone 6-3 this season and are currently tied with No. 2 Baker (Kan.) for first-place in the Heart of America Athletic Conference South Division. Evangel travels to Avila (Mo.) on Saturday before hosting a potential conference regular-season title game against Baker on Nov. 11.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 58, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), No. 9 Georgetown (25), No. 4 Morningside (Iowa) (20), No. 10 Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14) and Saint Francis (14).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak with 134-straight Top 25 mentions. Additionally, the Mustangs have been ranked within the top 10 in 83-straight polls.
To view the entire Top 25 poll, please click here.