FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 23, 2017
Contact: Tyler Price, Assistant Director of Athletics | Communications
Baker Still Ranked No. 2 in Top 25 Poll
BALDWIN CITY, Kansas – After its 16th-straight win over Avila University on Saturday, the Baker University football team hung onto its No. 2 ranking in this week’s NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 poll.
Baker defeated Avila, 57-17, on Saturday for its 25th-straight win against a Heart of America Athletic Conference foe and moves to a perfect 8-0 overall and 2-0 in the Heart South.
Since the inception of the Heart Northern and Southern Divisions in 2015, Baker is 12-0 in Heart South play.
Also ranked from the Heart this week includes No. 6 Grand View and No. 12 Benedictine.
Baker is now one of nine teams still undefeated in the NAIA, the others include No. 1 St. Francis (Ind.), Reinhardt (Ga.), Morningside (Iowa), Lindsey Wilson (Ky.), Southern Oregon, Langston (Okla.), Georgetown (Ky.) and Campbellsville (Ky.).
The Wildcats will next host Central Methodist on Saturday, October 28 at 1 p.m. for Senior Day inside Liston Stadium.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Saint Francis boasts the No. 1 ranking for the 13th time in program history, which is the sixth-most top billings dating back to 1999.
• The Cougars improved to 8-0 on the season and extended their winning streak to 17-straight games with a 56-23 victory over Missouri Baptist. Saint Francis rests atop the Mid-States Football Association Mideast standings at 4-0 with two games remaining on its regular-season schedule
• Saint Francis hosts Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) on Saturday.
• There was no movement in the top 12 this week.
• No. 25 Dakota State (S.D.) is the lone newcomer this edition. The Trojans are 6-2 on the season and have a key showdown with No. 15 Dickinson State (N.D.) on Saturday. Prior to today, Dakota State was most recently ranked on October 24, 2016.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 58, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), No. 9 Georgetown (25), No. 4 Morningside (Iowa) (20), No. 10 Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14) and Saint Francis (13).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak with 133-straight Top 25 mentions. Additionally, the Mustangs have been ranked within the top 10 in 82-straight polls.
To view the entire Top 25 poll, please click here.