FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 25, 2017
Contact: Tyler Price, Assistant Director of Athletics | Communications
Baker Football Holds onto No. 2 Ranking
BALDWIN CITY, Kansas – The Baker University football team continues to hang onto the No. 2 ranking again this week, as the NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 poll was announced on Monday.
The 5-0 Wildcats are now just 13 points behind No. 1 ranked and defending NAIA National champion St. Francis (Ind.) The Cougars are 4-0 on the season. No. 1 USF next faces No. 8 Marian this week on the road.
Baker is one of just 13 teams across the entire NAIA still undefeated. Baker took down then-No. 14 Benedictine, 44-37, in the NAIA Game of the Week last week, for its 22nd-straight Heart of America Athletic Conference victory.
Also ranked in the Top 25 from the Heart of America Athletic Conference is No. 7 Grand View, No. 18 Benedictine and No. 23 Peru State.
The Wildcats will host No. 23 Peru State this Saturday, Sept. 30 at 1 p.m. inside Liston Stadium for Family Weekend. Baker has won 11-straight games inside Liston Stadium.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Saint Francis, which has now been ranked No. 1 in six-straight polls, continued its dominance so far this season with a 48-23 win over then-No. 11 Saint Xavier (Ill.) last Saturday. The Cougars boast the top scoring offense in the NAIA, averaging 55 points per game.
• The schedule does not get easier for Saint Francis, as the Cougars travel to No. 8 Marian (Ind.) on Saturday. Kick off is scheduled for 6 p.m. EDT in Indianapolis, Ind.
• For the second-straight week, three new teams joined the Top 25 – No. 23 Peru State (Neb.), No. 24 Midland (Neb.) and No. 25 Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.). Peru State and Midland were both ranked at some point during last season, while Dakota Wesleyan returns to the Top 25 after a one-week hiatus.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 58, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), No. 12 Georgetown (Ky.) (25), No. 4 Morningside (Iowa) (20) and No. 13 Saint Xavier (14).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak with 129-straight Top 25 mentions.
To view the entire Top 25 poll, please click here.